Monday, April 17, 2006

Relaxed Angry Easter Sunday

Danielle tells me I need to calm down, and shortly I'll be cut off from the computer because it's bugging me so much. So I'll have to be short and sweet. First off, I'm mad because I can't figure out how to get my comments to be shown on this bloody thing. Does anyone know? If so, please email me because numerous people have told me they've left comments, but they don't appear to show up. Supra annoying. Secondly, I spent a frustrating hour or two fixing the buttons on my new coat so it would fit me properly - yes, I had to buy a coat becuase Vancouver is FREEZING. Sweet Mother of God, it's cold. And wouldn't you know it? I left my coat in the cab in Sydney when I was all frazzled and it was 6am in the morning and I'd had 3 hours sleep. Obviouly I didn't miss it in LA, but once I got to Van I started freezing - my fleece just wasn't warm enough.

Yesterday we spent an absolutely dreadful day attempting to shop in downtown Van - totally soulless and commercial, which I'm usually fine with - but usually I know the names of the shops and where to find what I want/need. But this time, I NEEDED - not just wanted - a coat, and despite the fact that it's 5degrees here, there are NO WINTER COATS FOR SALE. It's all light capris pants and tiny pretend sweaters. I was SO DISCOURAGED. I couldn't even find a tracksuit for less than $80. I wanted to cry, but my tears were frozen I was so damn cold. I had no idea how protected I was last time I came to Canada - totally taken care of, coats heaped on me, I was never that cold, and I lived in minus 40degrees! Crazy. Independence can totally suck.

Anyways, today was a lot better because we went to breakfast on The Drive (Commercial Drive, where Danielle lives, is the totally funky and alternative part of town, and the breakfast was AMAZING - vegetarian, and way better than the greasy spoon I had on Thursday), and we just meandered into this thrift store, My Sister's Closet, that supports Battered Women's Support Services, and I found some amazing clothing! It was fantastic. I got this long gorgeous coat for $30, and an "Eighties Chic" (Danielle's description) sweater for $12 (both purple, which is new for me, but hey, I'm in a new place). It was hilarious because we went next door to an expensive store, where they only have one size of each item, and there were really similar sweaters in there for $50! I of course insist on calling them jumpers just to confuse everyone, and because sweater sounds so obnoxious, but I guess it's rubbing off on me. *sigh*, I'm so impressionable. Anyway, the coat was a bit big and I wanted a double breasted, so I came home and got all domestic, moving buttons and measuring and stuff - thank goodness Mum made me that sewing kit. Greatest present ever, Mum. Danielle thinks it's amazing, too. So I've done my first no-one helping me adjusting of a piece of clothing - I must be a grown up.

As for the Easter thing, I had the traditional Saturday night Easter drink with Catherine last night in a bar down town, which was really fun. And I've been eating chocolate constantly, though not necessarily the Easter kind. Apart from that, it's been relatively low-key and relaxed. We walked through this beautiful nature park on Friday -Lynn Headwaters Regional Park. The Canadian wilderness is just so beautiful - so green! I've joined Bookcrossing, too, and am officially releasing my first book tonight, the review is in the link.

Well, I promise I will get to updating you on the last bit of my LA travels when I get around to it. Hope you're all well. Love, TravellingLibrarian.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eighties chic!!! I didn't even know you were allowed to put those two words in the same sentence!
K.xx

Saturday, April 22, 2006 11:33:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

Monday, July 03, 2006 10:46:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home