Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Cabana Sucks

So, I went to "the hottest club" in LA right now, Cabana. It totally sucks. I mean, it's aight (I so cannot say correctly, as much as I try), but the hottest club in LA? Looked just like any other club to me. I also went to a small private party in the Hollywood Hills, so that was cool, but I'm not really sure living up the la-la is the way for me to go in LA. I had more fun eating a pastrami on rye (oh my god the meals are so huge here) at Canter's and then people watching on the lawn at the Grove while an easy listening rock band played and kids danced around in a hilarious manner. So funny!
I've been having a good time, Todd and his friends have all been great. I was really sick when I arrived, I must have caught a 24 hour bug on the plane over, coz I spent the entire flight sick, and then was sick all of Wednesday. I was still really jet lagged on Thursday, and couldn't sleep at all, so Friday Todd's roomate Mandy took me with her to work. She works in an exclusive salon in Bel Air, and lots of celebrities shop in the centre. So I was helping out in the morning, and this crazy person came in and started touching all the products and everything, and asking me all these questions. I helped her as best I could, thinking all the while how she seemed like a crazy homeless person, just like the ones who used to come into the Body Shop in the Queen Street Mall when I worked there, but that she was probably someone rich and famous instead. Sure enough, it was Janice Dickinson, from America's Next Top Model. Bizarro. At lunch Mandy swore she saw Jack Nicolson, but all I sore was the back of an old bald guy, so probably was him :-)
The guys at the salon did my hair in the "sexy LA" style, basically just a blowdry, and it looked pretty good. Then Todd and I went out to dinner to this cute little Italian place, Micheli's, which had crap food but the most amazing atmosphere. There are Chianti bottles hanging all over the ceiling, and there is live music (the waiters even sing opera!) and it was just fabulous. After dinner we went to this old club, the Lava Lounge, which is from the 70's and done up all in a Hawaiian style, to see his friend Rose sing in her Rockabilly band. There was another performer there from Australia, apparently the Rockabilly scene in Australia is really in trouble - who knew?
On Saturday night Todd got a bunch of his friends together to meet me, and we went out to dinner after having drinks at his house. I got baby back ribs - I'd forgotten how good they are! Just a half rack though, coz I have to make sure I don't put on all the weight I lost in the stress of leaving and the throwing up when I arrived! We went on to Molly Molone's to see Todd's parents friends' band, then on to Three Deuces to dance to bad music, which was fun. It was a great night all round. When I got home Mandy was just about to go out again, which is when I went to Cabana, which, as I mentioned above, sucks.
Sunday saw Todd's friend Alpha talking me under her wing, or at least her afro, and showing me some LA essentials. We ate at the Jewish diner Canter's, the menus are insane there! Then we browsed at the Grove shopping centre, and shopped down Melrose. I'm surprised how similar the fashion is to Oz, except of course everyone owns a dozen pairs of jeans and hoodies are the standard, but it's all pretty generic.
Today Todd took me to do some touristy stuff, like putting my hands on Marilyn's at the Chinese Theatre, and getting a picture of the Hollywood sign. Once I figure out how to upload pictures I'll make a gallery of all the great people I'm meeting, and stuff I'm seeing. The last couple of days I've got really sunburnt, so I'll have to buy a hat tomorrow. I want an LA one, of course ;-)
Well that's about it for now, hope you guys are all surviving without me. Hugs!

2 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Well, until I actually see the "Hollywood" picture uploaded, I still don't believe that you're there.

In all your years of worldly experience, you should have learnt by now that the experiences made out to be *insert correct adjective here* are never going to live up to your expectations. Just like Cabana sucked, and the little Italian restuarante with singing waiters was much more special.

Enjoy the little things in life! Can't wait for your next blog!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 8:05:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All sounds very glamourous and fun. Paul and I wanted to get out and do stuff this weekend but our plans just fell through and it's the crappiest long weekend ever. Since nothing's open we're just doing the nerd thing and staying indoors, playing computer games and watching The West Wing (I'm sure you can guess which one of us is doing which activity).

Sunday, April 16, 2006 4:28:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home